VENUE: Element Nightclub and The Lounge at The Miners Tavern
120 Lydiard Street North, Ballarat
Judges: Edmondo Ammendola, Brent Trotter, to be advised
(For information on the judging criteria and to view a sample Crit Sheet go to http://royalsouthstreet.com.au/competition/mi-sound/)
Event Producer: Sheree Chevalier, Production Manager: David Santamaria
Event Adviser: Peter Zala
Prizes: include cash and studio recording sessions, refer to Mi Sound
Competition webpage above for up to date information
To be read in conjunction with General Conditions.
We suggest you register ASAP as time slots are limited
- To register, go to our website http://royalsouthstreet.com.au and follow the prompts to register online. Payment is required at the time of Registration. School Purchase Orders or Credit Card details are preferred.
- Please provide a stage name or group name and a contact person with contact details to hold the 20 minute spot. All names of group members are not required when you register.
- Please advise any cancellations in writing and email to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. Entry fees are non-refundable.
- All student age groups are permitted.
- A group/soloist can only enter Mi Sound once in a calendar year.
- A person may perform at Mi Sound several times in a calendar year if they are a part of more than one group and/or accompany a soloist.
- VCE-VET Music Performance students are encouraged to apply.
- Students do not need to study VCE-VET music to enter.
- The number of entries we receive may reflect on the length of Mi Sound. The event organisers have the right to lengthen or shorten the dates to accommodate demand.
- Your ‘Gig Info Sheet-Mi Sound’ will need to be completed and emailed to email@example.com by Friday 13 May. This is to ensure that by the end of May, we can confirm what day/date has been allocated to you as many schools need notice from School Council to organise transport/excursions etc.
‘Gig Info Sheet – Mi Sound’ Due by Friday 13 May 2016
- Decide which performance space you would prefer, either ‘Element Nightclub’ or ‘The Lounge’. (Please note that event organisers cannot guarantee allocation of your preferred space) Information will be made available soon regarding the stage sizing.
- A detailed stage plan will be required to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 8 August showing how equipment is to be set up on stage. Stage plans are available from the website http://royalsouthstreet.com.au/competition/mi-sound/
- RSSS understand that explicit language may be used at times to suit certain musical styles. If so, it must be indicated on the ‘Gig Info Sheet’ so audience members who may be offended are given the option to leave the performance area. Audience members will not be given a refund.
- Changes to your ‘Gig Info Sheet’ can be requested up to two weeks before the gig.
- Audio, lighting and back-stage crew will be provided by students studying Certificate III in Technical Production from various schools. Performers may bring their own sound / light / backstage crew who will operate under the direction of the event Systems Manager. Tick yes on the sheet if you are providing your own Backstage Crew.
- Please advise if you will include the use of visuals and need the use of a data projector.
- The anticipated group size is no more than six persons on the Element Nightclub stage. If larger than six performers, please contact Royal South Street Society
- If vocalists intend to use their own microphone, or a radio mic, please advise the details in writing.
- CHANGES: We understand that circumstances change. So please advise of us any changes asap in writing and email to email@example.com
More information can be found on ‘Preparing for the Gig’. This, along with ‘Gig Info Sheet – Mi Sound’ can be found on http://royalsouthstreet.com.au/competition/mi-sound/
Your gig (20 minute time slot)
- Maximum of 3 minute sound check before each performance.
- Teachers may assist their students set up for performance.
- Performers may bring props to support their ‘Explain Your Performance’ sheet, but will have to set this up at the venue during their Stage Preparation Time.
- A 'Spruiker' (host) will present the audience with details from your ‘Explain Your Performance’ sheet before each performance. The role of the Spruiker is to engage the audience as though they were participants at the imagined industry venue. This should take no more than 2 minutes.
- Your performance must be finished within 20 minutes. A light will flash from the sound booth to signal when time is up. You will be asked to stop performing if you go over.
- You are required to perform for at least ten minutes to your paying audience.
- Teachers may perform with students. Maximum of two teachers per group.
- A ‘performance in crisis’ may be stopped by a judge, technician or stage manager. A repeat performance may be allowed, subject to the situation and the safety of others.
- The 20 minute performance time does not include the introduction and reading of the ‘Explain Your Performance’.
- Whilst performing, the bar at Element Nightclub may be open (non-alcoholic drinks and snacks available).
Check out ‘Arriving at The Miners Tavern’ information sheet on http://royalsouthstreet.com.au/competition/mi-sound/
After the gig
- You will receive a hard copy of the Mi Sound ‘Criteria Sheet’ on the day of your performance. The judges will assess your performance and assign marks to the ten criteria.
- Within two weeks of Mi Sound, you will receive an email from COSAMP and will be able to download a MP4 file of your performance with recorded judge’s commentary.
- Protests are not permitted. The Event Producer/Judge’s decision is final.
- The judges may split up the prize/s at their discretion.
- You will be emailed an evaluation form, asking for your feedback. We would appreciate your comments on what you liked about Mi Sound and any changes you can suggest
- Performers and audience members behaving in an unsafe and/or inappropriate manner may be asked to leave.
- Teachers/supervising adults are expected to monitor performer and their supportive audience’s behaviour and take appropriate and timely action, if required.
- Management reserves the right to refuse entry.
- There is an ‘Information for Teachers’ sheet which is a fabulous read.
- Remember – Have FUN