HERALD SUN ARIA
From Grand Opera
$60,000 AWARDED BY THE HERALD SUN, MELBOURNE
One of Australia’s Richest Vocal Scholarships
Richard Mills – Orchestral Adjudicator
SECTION CHAIR: Mr Peter Zala
RUNNER UP $6,000
Winner: $22,500 for overseas tuition and travel
Runner Up: $8,000 for overseas or Australian tuition and travel
Encouragement Award: $2,500 for Australian tuition and travel
Heats Friday 15th September Her Majesty’s Theatre, Ballarat
Semi-Final Saturday 16th September Her Majesty’s Theatre, Ballarat
The Herald Sun Aria final will be held at Hamer Hall, Victoria Arts Centre, Melbourne,
on Wednesday October 25th at 7.30pm
$200 will be awarded to each of the 12 competitors selected for the Semi-Final at the
Royal South Street Competitions.
NEW IN 2017 OPTIONAL VIDEO ENTRY INTO HEATS
HERALD SUN ARIA CONDITIONS
These conditions are to be read in conjunction with The Royal South Street Society General Conditions
- This contest is open to any Australasian (Australia, New Zealand, etc) person who has been resident in Australasia for at least 5 years immediately prior to October 1, 2017.Competitors must be at least 19 and not over 35 years of age on December 31, 2017. (E.g. Competitor can be aged 35 years and 11 months - but must not have attained 35th birthday prior to 31st December). First prize winners of previous Herald Sun Aria contests are not eligible to enter.In the semi-final and final the adjudicators will consider the singer’s potential as well as performance.
- Competitors must enter in their own names and be prepared to furnish birth certificates and proof of residency.
- Competitors must compete in the order in which their names appear in the official program, unless officially authorised or directed otherwise.
- The closing date for entries is Friday 2nd June 2017. Late entries will only be accepted in exceptional circumstances. A $30 late fee will apply.
- Competitors must submit the full names of four arias from grand opera by Friday 1st September 2017.
- Competitors in the heats will sing an aria of their own choice from the four submitted.In the semi-final, competitors must sing a different aria from that which they sang in the heat, which will be chosen by the adjudicators from the four submitted.At the final in Hammer Hall, it is intended that competitors sing two arias of their choice, from the four submitted, at least one of which has not previously been sung by that competitor in either the heats or the semi-final, however, this may be varied by the adjudicators in order to accommodate orchestral considerations. All arias are to be performed in the original language and key.
- Twelve (12) will be selected from the heats to compete in a semi-final at Royal South Street, of which up to six (6) may be chosen from video entries. From the semi-final five (5) will be selected to appear in the final at Hamer Hall.In addition, two semi-finalists may be chosen as emergencies. The five (5) finalists must be available for two interviews – firstly with the adjudicators and secondly with a representative of the Herald Sun, immediately following the completion of the semi-final.
- An official Royal South Street accompanist will be provided for the heat(s) and semi-final in Ballarat. Competitors may engage their own accompanist for the heat if desired, but the official Royal South Street accompanist must be used by all semi-finalists. Payments to the accompanist for any privately arranged rehearsals with the official accompanist are the responsibility of the competitor. Both arias at the final will be sung to orchestral accompaniment and the finalists will be required for rehearsals at times to be notified.
- Music & Copyright:Competitors must provide music for three adjudicators and accompanist at the heat, semi-final and final. On all three occasions original music must be sighted by officials at registration, whether used or not.On all three occasions the original music may be provided for use by one of the adjudicators. For information relating to copyright of all printed, photocopied, adapted or reproduced material, please refer to http://royalsouthstreet.com.au/competition/herald-sun-aria/ APRA AMCOS Copyright Declaration Form can also be found and downloaded from this page. Each copy of music must have a copyright form attached.
For the accompanist’s music it is preferable that photocopies of the original (book) music be used. For the accompanist’s music, competitors must take care to ensure that:-
- the photocopies are of a high quality and none of the score is missing
- all pages are in correct order; and
- pages are securely presented in individual non-glare plastic sleeves in a spiral type binder that does not have removable sleeves
- Semi-finalists who are chosen to contest the final, must provide a Curriculum Vitae, once selected and at the time of interview with the Herald Sun. NB this information must NOT be attached to the music submitted at the time of registration prior to the semi-final.
- Semi-finalists selected from the video heats will be notified from week commencing 28th August 2017, semi-finalists selected from the live heats will be notified at the conclusion of the last heat. All semi-finalists MUST perform live on Saturday 16th September at Her Majesty’s Theatre, Ballarat.
- Competitors may only enter via one avenue, either video or in person, not both.
HERALD SUN ARIA CONDITIONS – VIDEO ENTRANTS
These conditions are to be read in conjunction with the Herald Sun Aria conditions and The Royal South Street Society General Conditions
- Video entries must be submitted online via the provided link by 5pm Friday 2nd June 2017
- Only one Aria may be performed for the video entry.
- Video entries can be recorded with a smartphone/ device and must not be digitally enhanced in any way. The video must be recorded within 3 months of the submission date.
- Video entries must have piano accompaniment.
- Semi-Finalists chosen from the video entries will be notified from week commencing 28th August 2017.
- Videos must be submitted along with the music score for the performed piece and a completed copyright declaration.
- Competitors must submit the title of the aria, from grand opera, along with the names of the opera and the composer.
- If chosen for the semi-final and/ or the grand final competitors must provide music as specified by special condition 10.